16 / May / 2021
16 / May / 2021
International Day of Light 2021
The International Day of Light is celebrated on 16th May each year, the anniversary of the first successful operation of the laser in 1960 by physicist and engineer Theodore Maiman. The International Day of Light was proclaimed at the General Conference of UNESCO in November 2017. The first celebration took place on 16th May 2018. ELI Beamlines is proud to join this event again.
Let’s remind the laser anniversary during the International Day of Light 2021 and celebrate the central role of light in science and culture and the importance of light-based technologies with us.
Where: ELI Beamlines and HiLASE laser centres, Dolní Břežany
Together with the HiLASE centre, we are especially preparing some outdoor light-based activities for you.
Outdoor interactive exhibits
Laser treasure hunt
Outdoor activities for children (if possible)
24 / Aug / 2021
26 / Aug / 2021
ELI Summer School 2021
ELI Beamlines, online
ELISS 2021 is the sixth edition of the ELI Summer School series. The main goal of ELISS is to provide young scientists with a comprehensive overview of the generation and application of intense laser pulses and laser-driven particle and radiation sources.
ELISS 2021 is organized by ELI Beamlines (Czech Republic), together with ELI ALPS (Hungary) and ELI-DC, and will be held online on 24 - 26 August 2021.
- High-power ultrafast lasers
- Generation of bright coherent and incoherent X-ray pulses using short pulse lasers
- Free electron lasers from IR to X-rays
- Ultrafast imaging techniques with short X-ray pulses
- Function and applications of short X-ray pulses (including synchronizations)
- Particle acceleration by lasers and applications: proton therapy
- Physics of dense plasmas and warm dense matter, laboratory astrophysics
- Ultra-intense laser matter interaction
- Nuclear physics with high-intensity lasers
- Femtoscience: applications in biology, chemistry and solid-state physics
- Generation of attosecond pulses: Attoscience photonics